Free Shipping | Plastic-Free Packaging!
Frequently Asked Questions
> What are your shipping & returns policies?
We offer free shipping for all retail orders within the U.S. Wholesale orders are subject to standard USPS shipping fees.
Non-sale and unused items are fully refundable within 30 days of delivery. If 30 days have gone by since your purchase, unfortunately we can’t offer you a refund or exchange.
You will be responsible for paying the postage fee to send back returned product. Once product is received, we will reimburse your cost of the product within 2 to 4 days, not including shipping fees.
For more details visit: steelstraw.com/pages/return-policy
> Plastic Free packaging?
Packaging waste is a HUGE sources of plastic pollution! That’s why we pack all orders with compostable, recyclable, and repurposed boxes. We use paper tape, and adhesive shipping labels made with 100% curbside recyclable liners. Our paper mailers are made of 100% recycled paper, and info printed with Algae Ink. Please note, when using repurposed boxes, there may occasionally be remnants of plastic tape from their former life.
> Is Shuki a social good company?
Yes, here's a few ways we are making a difference!
- Shuki is a proud member of Plastic Pollution Coalition, and 1% for the Planet. A global network of businesses, nonprofits and individuals working together for a healthy planet.
- Our Artisan Cutlery Kits are Fair Trade certified through Matr Boomie.
- We dedicate our brand to amplifying and educating people on the impacts of plastic pollution, while offering a way to “be the change”.
- With numerous non-profit partners (visit our partnership page) we are always finding ways to support a larger coalition of activists, all fighting to protect our planet from pollution.
- We offer carbon offsets at checkout! You can view our impact report HERE.
- We are currently B-Corp pending.
> Where is your company located?
Shuki sells products around the world. Our core team is based in Los Angeles, and we have organization partners across the continent (visit our partnership page page to learn more). Our manufacturing partners are located in Los Angeles,
North Central India, in the state of Uttar Pradesh, and the Chaoshan region of China.
Yes. Shuki’s metal straws are made from non-toxic, FDA food grade 18/8 stainless steel metal. They have no metal aftertaste, and are BPA-Free. Stainless steel straws are also rust and scratch proof. They are completely safe to drink from, and curved for easy sipping.
Our reusable bamboo straws are made without any harmful pesticides or chemicals.
> Are your reusable straws hard to clean?
No, they’re easy to clean! Our stainless steel straws are dishwasher safe, and rust proof. We also provide a cleaning brush in our gift set for the inside of your straws. Restaurants may utilize a dedicated container to soak the straws in cleaning solution, before eventually running them through the dishwasher.
For bamboo straws, rinse straws under tap water or submerge them in warm soapy water. For an occasional deeper clean, put the straws in boiling water with a tablespoon of vinegar and soak for a few minutes. Measurements: Length - 8in; Width - 4mm - 7mm (since bamboo grows naturally, the width varies).
> What reusable straw sizes do you offer?
- Curved and Straight Metal Straws: Length - 215mm; Diameter - 6mm; Thick .5mm
- These fit most popular stainless steel tumblers - 20 oz, 18 oz, 12 oz, and 10 oz Tumblers and Cups - Yeti (Rambler & Lowball), Hydro Flask, RTIC, Ozark, and MalloMe.
- Boba Straws: Length - 215mm; Width - 12mm; Thick .5mm. Pointed tip
- Bamboo straws: Length - 8in; Width - 4mm - 7mm (since bamboo grows naturally, the width varies).
- Cocktail: Length - 15cm / 150mm; Width - 6mm
> How much do they cost wholesale?
View our wholesale pricing for gift sets, and bulk steel straws here.
> Can metal straws be used with hot beverages?
Yes. All hot beverages require caution to ensure you don’t burn yourself, whether you use metal straws or not -- use common sense whenever drinking! Our metal straws help keep hot drinks hot, and cold drinks cold.
> Product End of Life Breakdown
- Metal Straws are extremely durable, and can last a lifetime! If these straws ever reach the end of their useful life, stainless steel is 100% recyclable with most waste haulers.
- Bamboo straws can last many years, depending on usage and care. At the end of their life, bamboo straws are 100% compostable.
- Agave / Coconut Fiber Cleaning brushes - remove bristles and compost. Metal handle is recyclable with most waste haulers.
- Artisan Cutlery is made of mango wood, and is fully compostable.
- Linen Pouches, Cotton Masks and Cotton Pouches are not typically curbside recyclable. We recommend you either repurpose this fabric, donate it, or bring it to a textile recycling plant near you.
- Shuki packaging, hang tags, and flyers are recyclable and / or compostable.
> Does your company have policies/programs to promote diversity within your supply chain?
Yes! We track diversity of ownership among our suppliers. We have a policy to give preferences to suppliers with ownership from underrepresented populations. We have formal targets to make a specific percentage of purchases from suppliers with diverse ownership. We have a formal program to purchase and provide support to suppliers with diverse ownership.
> What does Shuki Mean (to us)?:
When our co-founder Julia was born, despite her birth certificate clearly displaying the first name, “Julia,” in bold print, her parents were so overwhelmed with love for their new baby girl that they instead lovingly referred to her by the spontaneous nickname, “Shukaduka,” (and most frequently, “Shuki,” for short). The name embodies a raw kind of love, with roots deep in the wild places of rural Oregon where Julia was raised. Today, Shuki (the company) is built with the same kind of raw love, with the same wild roots.
Beyond the the personal significance of the name Shuki, it has other similar meanings in languages from around the world:
- Japanese: The common word suki, pronounced "suh-kee", means, ‘a liking of, or fondness for,’ meaning you love something or have a taste for that thing.
- Hebrew Numerology: The name Shuki (a nickname of Yehoshua) represents people who are peacemakers and diplomats.
- Hindi: The female name Sukhi generally translates to “happy.”